Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Short Story

So, I made a happy trip to Village Books last week with happy thoughts of book club blogging in my happy head. After a short time browsing, I discovered a used Elizabeth Gilbert book. I really enjoyed Eat Love Pray, so I was hoping I didn't go wrong with Pilgrims, and you can never go wrong with a used book, right??
While it is an easy read, and I have enjoyed the first several stories I have read, I just have issues with short stories. I know, I know, they're supposed to be enjoyable, slice-of-life type things, but I get in to the characters and I want more more more! There's never a beginning middle or end, and I'm always left wanting MORE! Where did they ride off to on that horse? Did the truck ever get fixed? Are those two strange people actually brother and sister? Tell me MORE!

3 comments:

Liz said...

Ah, Village Books. *Sigh!* 'Nuff Said!

I would definitely recommend this book to someone else, with the appropriate amount of warning given about what to expect with the short story format and all. So, would you call that recommendation with qualification?

It's not much like Eat Pray Love in that it's not really delving into what the character is up to. It would be more like her just describing one day in Italy - "Went to Spanish at learning annex. Interfering with me actually learning Spanish. Met cutie at the coffee shop. Ate too much. Didn't have sex. Said Atraverssio. The End."

So, not really like Eat Pray Love. But not bad, either. Worth reading If, IF, *IF* you're willing to accept the short story genre.

To be fair, I do love getting through an entire story in just 10 or 15 minutes of bedtime reading. You've done some good reading, but you're not staying up too late either. Apparently there is some validity to this short story thing...

(P.S. Thanks for the blog-couragement. So fun to finally be a blogger!!)

Rae said...

I was just thinking... what is Liz's word?? Welcome to the club Liz! I have received daily recriminations about my participation in the blogging (Thanks Kate!) but assure everyone that my dedication is unwavering. Coming soon... post on my current reading...

Liz said...

I know, I know. I'm working on the word. Kate and I had a bit of a brainstorming session. So far we've vetoed lazy, crazy, and unmotivated. The search continues!